NOTABLE PLACES IN HAITI



Bassin Bleu:
A natural water site located west of the city of Jacmel, in the Sud-Estdepartment of Haiti, Bassin Bleu is a series of three pools along the Petite Rivière de Jacmel. It consists of a series of natural rock bassins arranged in cascade, successively pouring water into one another. The cool and crystal clear water is great for a swim. Jump from the waterfalls, swim in the cool basins, enjoy the cool cover of the lush vegetation in your own private grotto.


Boutilier Observatory:
At the edge of a 3182 mountains, Boutilier Observatory offers a spectacular view of the bustling capital city, the vast bay of Port-au-prince with dots of ships and small fishing boats in the distance. In 1981, special permission was granted for the construction of the Observatory, as building a look out point from such a strategic military position required as much.


Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption:
Often called Port-au-Prince Cathedral, the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption was a cathedral in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Built between 1884 and 1914, it was dedicated on, and became the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Port-au-Prince. The cathedral was destroyed in the 2010 earthquake. Before its destruction, the cupola of the north tower of the Cathedral served as the front lighthouse of a pair guiding mariners into Port-au-Prince harbor.


Citadelle Laferrière:
A mountaintop fortress, the Citadelle Laferrière is located on the northern coast of Haiti, on the top of mountain Bonnet a L’Eveque. The Citadelle is referred by locals as the Eighth Wonder of the World, and in 1982 it was nominated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This massive stone construction is the largest fortress in the Americas. Built to demonstrate the power of the newly independent Haiti, the Citadelle Laferrière was essential for the security of Haiti’s newly formed state.


Fort Jacques:
Conveniently located in the town of Kenscoff, about 30 minutes from Petion-Ville, and about an hour from Port-au-Prince, Fort Jacques is one the numerous fortresses built under the command of Haiti's father of Independence Jean Jacques Dessalines, in fear of a french invasion. It sits on hilltops, overlooking the vast bay of Port-au-Prince in the far distance and stunning mountainsides farmlands nearby.


Fort-Liberté:
Located only 50 kilometers from Cap Haitien, Fort-Liberté is a preserved historic center that deserves to be visited with its Place d'Weapons adorned with a beautiful central fountain, and the presence of Fort Dauphin built on a small peninsula of Fort Liberty Bay. It is close to the border of the Dominican Republic, and is one of the oldest cities in the country. Haiti's independence was proclaimed here on November 29, 1803.


The Iron Market:
An Iconic architectural, historical landmark in Haiti, located in down town Port-au-Prince, the Iron Market is a trading place where one can find literally everything. Products availability starts from vegetables to Vodou priests providing their spiritual services. It is truly the most popular public market in all Haiti, and one of the most recognizable landmark of the country.


Labadee:
Named after Marquis de La'Badie, a Frenchman who first settled the area in the 17th century, Labadee is a port located on the northern coast of Haiti. It is famous for its amazing natural beauty, which consists of majestic lush mountains, and striking beach, and is considered by many to be the most scenic and beautiful tropical paradise spot in the Caribbean.


Le Negre Marron:
Located in the capital of Haiti in front of the national palace, Le Negre Marron, the slave, holds a machete in his right hand, a symbol of the resistance of the slaves, and in the other hand a gourd. This work of the sculptor Albert Mangonès, in 1959, is the symbol of a whole nation and a whole race. It symbolizes the freedom and the independence, and is the precursor in the struggle for the independence of Haiti.


Marie-Jeanne Cave:
2.5 miles long, the Marie-Jeanne Cave is the longest cave discovered in Haiti thus far. The three level interior of the caves offers spectacular view of stunning, colorful rock formation and unspoiled fauna. Over the years numerous artifacts dating back to the pre-columbian Taino/Arawak period have been discovered throughout the 36 chambers cave. Intact paintings on the walls of  the cave can also be seen.



Massif de la Hotte:
A mountain range in southwestern Haiti, Massif de la Hotte is one of the only two protected natural forests of Haiti and is home to the Island of Hispaniola. The majority of it's birds, plants, and nearly 100% of its reptiles are found nowhere else in the world. Conservation International lists the Massif de la Hotte as one of the most conservation-urgent places in the world working to protect these extremely rare species.


Ogier-Fombrun Museum:
Located on the premises of the Moulin sur Mer Beach Resort, the Ogier-Fombrun Museum is about an hour drive north from Port-au-Prince International Airport, in the beach town of Montrouis. The property is a former colonial sugar cane plantation, built in 1760 by the french colonist Guillaume Ogier, but was abandoned in 1799 in the wake of the Haitian revolution. In 1977, the Haitian architect Gerard Fombrun discovered the ruins and consecrated his time to its full restauration. 


Pétion-Ville:
A commune and a suburb of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Pétion-Ville is in the hills east and separate from the city itself on the northern hills of the Massif de la Selle. The gated and privately guarded neighborhoods of Pétion-Ville resemble a Haitian version of Beverly Hills, but with barbed wire. The community is very stable, with nightlife and business conducted with an appearance of western normality, in striking contrast to many other parts of greater Port-au-Prince.


Port-de Paix:
The capital of the department of Nord-Ouest in Haiti, Port-de Paix was founded in 1665 by French fleeing British occupiers. In 1679 the town saw its first black slave revolt. The area saw great success during the 19th century, but in 1902 the town was almost entirely destroyed by fire and never attained its former status. 


Sans-Souci Palace:
Built and lived in by King Henri I of Haiti, Sans-Souci Palace was the most important of nine palaces built by the king, as well as fifteen châteaux, numerous forts, and sprawling summer homes on his twenty plantations. The impressiveness of Sans-Souci was part of Henri Christophe's program to demonstrate to foreigners, particularly Europeans and Americans, the power and capability of the black race.


Saut D'eau:
Literally translating to waterfall, Saut D'eau is located in the small village of Ville Bonheur. It has many streams and springs which make it fresh, green, and very fertile. The scenic view of the natural waterfall and the surrounding mountains is formidable, and has been ranked by many as one of the most spectacular falls in the region.

Newsletter Subscribe